How Does a Medical Pendant Work?
A medical pendant is a life saving device capable of connecting one with emergency medical dispatch with the press of a button. Some designs feature sophisticated fall detection and instant two-way voice communication. Most rely on GPS technology to pinpoint your location for emergency medical assistance.
Here’s an overview of how the device works, including setup, use, and benefits, so you can find the best unit to fit for your needs.
What is a Medical Pendant?
A medical alert pendant is precisely what the name suggests: a pendant you can wear in and out of the house. It features a button you can press to notify emergency medical dispatch instantly. They also integrate various technologies to keep users safe and to procure instant medical assistance during emergencies.
They can also be defined as “medical alert systems” or “senior alert systems” and are vital to ensuring the well-being of vulnerable loved ones and seniors.
How the Pendants Work
Medical pendants also known as emergency necklaces, integrate various technologies, including GPS and nationwide wireless voice and data. They feature a button that allows location tracking and real-time monitoring. Vulnerable individuals can wear the pendant and have the option to press the help button.
One press is enough to send an alarm to a 24-hour emergency call center with an operator ready to help. The operator can instantly access the pendant owner’s address, emergency contacts, and other information to rally help across all fronts.
Emergency dispatch is also sent if necessary. If the wearer can speak, they’ll have instant two-way voice communication with the operator to discuss the situation. The devices are waterproof, wearable, and comfortable at all times.
The devices use GPS technology to pinpoint the location of the owner. Some can detect falls and automatically initiate communication or send an alert to the help center. Here are the steps summarizing how medical pendants work:
• A user buys the pendant from Life Guardian by GlobalTek
• The user presses the SOS button on the pendant, or a fall is automatically detected
• The device sends user information and current location to the emergency operator
• Two-way communication is initiated to assess the situation
• The medical response operator calls emergency contacts, family, neighbors, and closest emergency services based on your needs.
Setup and Usage
The pendants are easy to set up and use. You can choose a pendant with lanyard, bracelet, or clip-on design. All three options are effortless to set up, and everything is done when you subscribe to the alert system. Our emergency medical response centers collect information about the user, including name, medical records, address, contact information, and more.
User information is linked to the pendant to identify the owner during an emergency. The user can wear their pendant anywhere, anytime, and access the SOS button and all the device’s other features. When the SOS button is pressed or if a fall detection is triggered, a notification is instantly sent to our central station to summon help.
Pendants have various alert system components with unique features specific to certain product lines. It’s crucial to review the features and options to find the best fit for your needs. Below are some of our popular features:
a) GPS Tracking
The global positioning system (GPS) uses 30 well-positioned satellites to work out your accurate location. All medical pendants feature GPS tracking, which locates the signal’s location in case of an emergency.
b) Fall Detection
The best medical pendants and wearable alert systems feature fall detection sensors. Fall detectors use accelerometers, gyroscopes, and sophisticated algorithms to detect a slip or fall. They then notify our response center.
c) Caregiver Tools
Medical pendants are connected to caregivers to allow remote monitoring through online portals. Caregivers can keep tabs on device activities and alerts via smart phones and computers. Other features include low battery notifications and off-location strays (i.e., geofencing) to help manage use.
d) Environment Monitoring
Advanced medical pendants and alert systems can detect life threatening conditions like CO2 leaks. The systems instantly notify the emergency response center when a hazardous condition is detected.
Medical pendants and other medic alert systems can facilitate emergency response teams to act rapidly and precisely when needed. These pendants allow seniors and vulnerable family members to receive 24/7 assistance for medical emergencies. Here are four benefits of medical pendants:
• Immediate Assistance: Wearable medical pendants offer instant assistance when in need. Users can take them wherever they go, whether indoors or outdoors, while having access to a help button and emergency communication with experienced caring operators.
• 24/7 Monitoring: Caregivers can monitor the environmental conditions and overall device usage to ensure the efficiency of the alert system. Emergency operators can also contact the closest person or response center to secure immediate help in case of an incident.
• Ease of Use: Medical alert pendants are easy to use. All you need do is wear the pendant everywhere you go and press the help button for instant assistance. Some of our systems also send automatic notifications in case of falls or other hazards.
• Peace of Mind: Pendants can eliminate the need to stay in an assisted-living facility. The pendant offers round-the-clock access to medical assistance, and family members will be contacted promptly. You can stop worrying about falling when no one is around.
Choosing a Medical Pendant
You’ll encounter various medical pendants with unique features, maintenance requirements, and monitoring costs. There are many things to compare, including components, optional devices, local signal strength, operator average response time, contract length, and industry partnerships.
It’s important to explore all options thoroughly before deciding. Be sure the company you choose isn’t new, small, or devoid of any industry partnerships or endorsements. You must ensure the company you choose is nationally recognized outside of themselves. Life Guardian, for example, is the exclusive vendor of record for Bayshore Healthcare nationwide, Canada’s largest senior home healthcare provider boasting over 350,000 clients nationwide.
Below are some additional tips to help you choose a dependable medical alert pendant:
• Find a reputable medical alert company with transparent policies, risk-free trials, return policies, and instant response.
• Learn about existing medical alert devices and optional features like fall detection and medication reminders.
• Consider personal preferences and comforts, so you can easily blend/integrate the pendant into your lifestyle.
• Choose a subscription type that suits your needs and budget. Some companies offer monthly, quarterly, and yearly subscriptions with the option to cancel at anytime.
Finding Medical Pendants That Work
A medical pendant is valuable technology for the safety of a vulnerable family member. You need a trustworthy medical response company and reliable pendant to leverage the full benefits of such devices. At Life Guardian Mobile, we support your independence with affordable and reliable medical alert systems in Canada and the USA. You can get started with 24/7 monitoring and response for as low as $29.99 per month.